Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Rhode Island it’s neither a road nor an island – discuss.

Let's talk about age. This came up over the holidays with the group of us that got together. Is it an issue for any of us? If so, why? What is the issue? Most of us have or are just about to hit 30 - is this a major milestone? Does it mean anything? Are we where we thought we’d be at 30?

I still think we’re babies in the big scheme of things (even those of us with babies). Every now and again I freak out, but for the most part I think I am okay with it all. Maybe because I still get carded and I “appear” to be in my early twenties. I knew looking like a 12 year old would come in handy some day. haha However, I do every now and again think oh boy time keeps going and there is a lot of life to get in …

3 comments:

Adam Tamashasky said...

I stopped thinking of my progress in terms of age probably right around 22 (maybe 25 rang a bell because renting a car became a pain-free process). Once you cross 21, everything after boils down to the big zero dates.

My 30th merely struck me as an excuse to throw a big birthday dinner party for my friends. It was epic. Wish you all could have been there.

Am I where I want to be? Residentially, no way in hell. We hate Annapolis. In all other respects, absolutely. I love my life--amazing partner through life, surprisingly brilliant daughter, best job in the world, and a worldview still forming and nuancing in ways that keeps me reading, thinking, and talking. I have some goals realized, and new and old goals still remaining--that's enough to keep me striving without despondency regarding the possibility of fruition.

The only problem with recognizing age is that I realize I really will never get to read and study everything I'll want to. Imagine if you could have multiple paths--so you could be a marine biologist, an astronaut, a sculptor, a linguist, a professional musician, a restaurant owner, a teacher, an art historian, a politician, a video game designer, a research scientist, and so on.... It's enough to make a guy want to believe in reincarnation. But, come on, an elephant with arms?

Adam Tamashasky said...

Side-note: One of my classes this past semester, which ties for the best class I've ever had, made me a couple gifts and surprised me with them on the last day. I found the website where they made it--if you're curious, enjoy (and all of the quotes on the shirt come from their collected notes, apparently): www.cafepress.com/proftamo045

Kells said...

Side note - have you ever checked yourself out on rate my professor? I was looking up someone the other day and thought... hmmm I will check out Tamo ... it made me smile ... they love you, you can tell... even if you never give an A.