Friday, March 7, 2008

Not to be getting into semantics, but is it racism or stereotypes and prejudice?

Brad,
This is a provocative and challenging bit of lyrics and we can all look within for deeply held beliefs. But I think that racism is not the problem, which according to Webster's dictionary is a belief that your race is superior to other races;i.e. Hitler's Aryanism., as much as prejudice is the root of the problem.

What I do agree with is we all are, black, white, Asian, Native American Indian, Eastern Indian, Middle Eastern, Hispanic, etc. are all, if we are honest to a degree prejudice and carry stereotypes that go with it . Now, don't get me wrong, there are racists out there, such as skinheads, KKK, multiple xenophobes and closet racists that simply love to hate other people in their inferiority complexes or in their subtle and blatant hatred and racist beliefs. But I believe that the true racist is amongst the minority. These people are beyond help and reform of their hatred.

The majority of us that suffer the choice of prejudice and subsequent stereotypes, need to reach out to other ethnicities and start a forum for communication and understanding. I recently began to put this theory into action myself. For years I stayed in the safe white suburbs of Loveland and dreamed of reaching out to urban youth. In the past 6 weeks I met a young black man, yes he is okay with being referred to as black and doesn't care about the politically correct moniker of African American, who sold me my new cellular phone. As I waited for my phone to be activated, Brandon, a senior at U.Cincinnati majoring in business, and I shared many business ideas and values. If you've recently purchased a cell phone you can relate to the fact that this activation process probably took over an hour; plenty of time to shoot the breeze on all kinds of topics.

As a result of that meeting we agreed to meet with another friend of his, Dennis, who is majoring in business and is a senior @ U. Cincinnati and a young black man as well. Both young men are energetic, disciplined, hard working and enthusiastic .We decided to start an embryonic experiment we call for now, Cincinnati Business Reciprocity. We take turns bringing a business idea to our meetings. The rule is whatever idea you gain from the meeting must then be taken back to the community we live and work in and pay it forward as the movie states. In other words, we are required to give the ideas away from our meeting and receive nothing in return. It is our way of philanthropy and giving back.

This is just a beginning, but I believe we can make a difference in better communicating and understanding each other and hopefully positively touch other peoples lives in the journey.

Keep On Bloggin',
Tom Eardley

2 comments:

Brad said...

Dad-
I appreciate your response.

The first thing I want to say is that this is a song that I've never sung in public and have shared only with people whom I trust. I have not shared it with a non-White person yet.

It's such a polarizing and difficult topic that I was hesitant to even write a song about it.

What I'm trying to express is severalfold. First, the egotism behind "helping" these folks by working in the soup kitchen. Second, the belief that this desire said something about me as a person...e.g., that I'm open-minded, not racist, etc. Third, the true, personal experience of fear of these black men. Fourth, trying to begin figuring out whence that fear came. Fifth, realizing that I'm not as open-minded as I thought. Sixth, acknowledging that this is a polarizing and difficult topic.

Dad, it seems like you think "racism" is too strong a word for what I described in my song. For you, "prejudice" is more appropriate.

When you liken racism to Hitler's beliefs or the KKK or whatever, I think you're focusing on racism and hate. What I talk about in my song is racism and fear. I believe that fear underlies hate.

My fear of these black men is not that they will take control of my country economically or destroy my race, as Hitler believed about the Jews, Catholics, gays, etc. My fear is that they will kick my ass. My fear comes from my belief that they are violent. Now, the question, Dad, is...why would I believe that black men are violent? Why would I worry that they would become violent and the not the white guys?

That, to me, is racism. It is a belief that black men will resort to violence if necessary, especially against white people.

You wrote, "racism...which according to Webster's dictionary is a belief that your race is superior to other races;i.e. Hitler's Aryanism." Did you really look this word up, Dad? Honestly, it sounds pretty off-the-cuff to me. The Random House Dictionary has three definitions:

1.a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2.a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3.hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

My "inherent belief" that black men, not white men, will use violence is racist.

You also wrote, "But I believe that the true racist is amongst the minority. These people are beyond help and reform of their hatred."

I agree that the people who use extreme measures to act out their racism are in the minority. But I believe that there many people out there like me with a fear of black people.

I also don't believe that extreme racists, as an entire group, are beyond reform. I'm certain there are individuals within these groups and in the larger world who are psychopaths, who are incapable of guilt, remorse, compassion, self-awareness, etc. (Charles Manson, BTK Killer). THEY, I believe, are in the minority and are beyond help.

You also wrote, "The majority of us that suffer the choice of prejudice and subsequent stereotypes, need to reach out to other ethnicities and start a forum for communication and understanding."

I agree with this, although I don't know what you mean by "choice."

Sounds like a really cool interaction with Brandon. Where are he and Dennis from? What is their background? Cincinnati Business Reciprocity sounds interesting. I'm not sure I totally get it, but I would love to hear what comes out of the next meeting. Where will your meetings take place?

Thanks again, Dad, for putting your thoughts out there.

Obviously, this is a topic to which I've also given a lot of thought.

Tom Eardley said...

Brad,
As I said, it is semantics, racism vs. prejudice and or stereotyping. And yes, I did look up the meaning of the word racism in Webster's dictionary, it was not off the cuff. Note how closely Webster's definition is to Random's No.1 in referencing superiority.

We all have fears, which cause misunderstandings and jumping to conclusions; what I am calling prejudice and stereotyping. This will only be overcome through reaching out to other ethnicities as you did in the Boston soup kitchen, despite your fears.

Brandon,Dennis and I meet at Panera on Calhoun Street in Clifton. This is a true experiment, grass roots, evolution in progress. And none of us is sure where it will take us. I will let you know how things progress.

Thanks for your feedback and giving this topic alot of thought and care as well.
Peace,
Dad